Monday, May 7, 2012

Hoyo Excalibur (plain Jane)

This is a light wrapper version of the Dark Knight that I like, and a stronger version of the Cameroon wrapper that I also like.  Using Honduran and Nicaraguan fillers this cigar has come to hold a high rating in the cigar world, and with good reason.
I have not look it up to see what leaf they use for the wrapper on their plain Jane version but I suspect it is a sun grown Connecticut Broad Leaf.  But then again, I could have my head up my ass.  I'm hear to tell you what I think about smoking the cigar, not to be factual on the details of how it was made and with what.  Does it taste good, or does it taste like a dog turd.
Shadows
Another product of General Cigar that is top notch for the everyday smoke, and one you can count on finding in just about every cigar store in the world.  No need to seek out the specialty shops for this stick.
I am not going to go into detail by detail on a review here.  This is a good burning, good tasting cigar that is a mainstay in any humidor for when you are just looking for a good smoke but don't have the time to spend savoring some subtle flavors that dash in and out.  
What would I pay?  $7.00 in a cigar store.

Back in the summer of 1979 I was fishing on the White River just above the Bull Shoals Damn in Missouri.  A small town with a gas station / grocery store.  It was called, Branson.  Yep, the same Branson you know today as the hot spot for that terrible country music crap.  But back then the town had a population of about 25 people and there was no country music anything.  But back to my story.  I was staying at a resort that was owned by a friend of mine.  A four cabin fishing, ma & pa resort.  As we where sitting in his house talking one evening I spied an end table that his wife's grand father had built.  The top was covered in cigar bands and then lacquered over.  I wish I had those cigars.  They were back from the 20s and 30s.  The Cuban haydays of cigar building.
So i decided I was going to one day build something similar and began my collection of cigar bands.  Since I did not smoke cigars at that point in my life, my collection was thin for many years.  These days it ranges in the thousands.
I still don't know what I am going to do with them but i figure this year I will put them to use in one of my photography projects for a gallery show.  Maybe nude models smoking cigars with the matting of the image covered with cigar bands.
Who knows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't sound like such a wingnut child when you stick to talking about cigars.

D.L. Wood said...

...wingnut child...WTF is that about?

Besides a "wingnut" can't be a child.

Because as the wiki gods inform us - "Wingnut" (sometimes "wing-nut") is used in United States politics as a political epithet referring to a person who holds extreme, and often irrational, political views usually with a religious overtone. According to Merriam-Webster, it is "a mentally deranged person" or "one who advocates extreme measures or changes : radical." The New York Times' David M. Herszenhorn has defined a "wing nut" as "a loud darling of cable television and talk radio whose remarks are outrageous but often serious enough not to be dismissed entirely."

So to have these tendencies you would have had to live and experience life to develop the above characteristics. A child would not have the concept of what kind of thoughts it would take to come up with extreme ideas that could be expressed in a lucid fashion.

A child would say something like - "You don't sound like such a wingnut child when you stick to talking about cigars."

Damn I hate anonymous people that show up and make comments when they don't know what the blog and/or blogger is about. Go back to cigar.com.

D.L. Wood

P.S I'm still waiting for that naked cigar shot.

Shadowscapestudio said...

Mr. Anonymous doesn't agree with my views apparently.
I have been called worse by far greater men.