Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tony Borhani's Bahia maduro & Leap Year Day

#2 Belicoso
This is a very limited run cigar.  All of the Tony Borhani cigars have been top of the heap Nicaraguan sticks, and this one from all appearances looks like it is going to be one dandy of a smoke.  The madruo wrapper in a dark chocolate color and flawless, and it smell divine.  I must state that it doesn't smell like a tobacco leaf at all.  Another one that brings back childhood memories for me.  Brookfield Zoo just outside Chicago.  1959.  She was 7 years old and had on a yellow dress.  Were were eating our brown bag lunches on the grass just outside the lion house.  Damn!  I could spend an hour sniffing at this cigar and then remembering, then sniffing and then remembering.
I loved this cigar before I ever thought to put a match to it.    I even thought of putting it back in the humidor because I do not have another one and didn't want to loose that memory jog.  I'm not likely to be able to get another of this vintage.
So far the only thing I didn't like about it was the band.  A modern day, artsy band and not a good classic style of cigar band that I like so much.  
Then the unthinkable happened.  I picked it up to toast the foot and turned to grab the lighter.  The cigar flipped out of my hand and sailed across the room.  I was crushed.  I picked it up and carefully looked it over.  Perfect.  Not a crack or dent to be seen.  Boy did I luck out on that one.
It would have gone along with the pizza my wife dumped on the studio floor a little earlier, only I would have been heart broken if the cigar had turned out like the pizza did.
The initial taste from the dark maduro wrapper was heaven.  Sweet and delicious.  The draw seemed a little tight but I was not having trouble and the smoke would continue pouring out of the end after I set it down in the tray.
Sarah Jean
No pepper taste with this one but a strong wood flavor.  Not oak....  Maybe more along the line of black ash.  Very enjoyable.
The wrapper looks like this cigar was dipped in hot chocolate.  Dark chocolate.  But it had a roughness to the texture that I found comfortable while holding.
During the next two hours of smoking this and taking notes I relived many school days of 1959.  As far as the notes....  No spice.  Wood and leather were key players in this with that delicious wrapper flavor blending well.
I want another one that would sit in my humidor for a year of so just to see if it improved upon this already marvelous smoke.
What would I pay?  $8.00 in a cigar store.  Note:  If you can still find one they were dirt cheap.  Something along the lines of $34./bundle of 20.  Why?  Hell if I know.  If you do find some, grab them.  But don't forget to send me one so I can relive 1959 all over again.

Wife has been working late and she needs to get 500 bowls cranked out on the wheel for a soup fund raiser coming up in March so I was out in the studio all day helping out.  My bowls may be a bit misshapen but they are at least, unique.
Now, I am clayed out.

I have picked up a lot of viewers from France and Germany the lat few days.  More cigar smokers than art critics out there.

1 comment:

D.L. Wood said...

"A guy traveling through the prairies stopped at a
small town and went to a bar. He stood at the end of the bar,
ordered a drink, and lit up a cigar.
As he sipped his drink, he stood there quietly blowing smoke
rings. After he blew nine or ten smoke rings into the air, an
angry Indian stomped up to him and said, "One more
remark like that and I'll smash your face in!"

If you don't quit talking about dark chocolate, fine woods and leathers I might have to start smoking again. lol

D.L. Wood